Can learning disabilities be prevented?

The causes of learning disabilities vary and may be related to prenatal health, so it may be possible to reduce the risk of these problems in your child by maintaining a healthy lifestyle while pregnant. Minimizing a child's exposure to toxins such as lead, that can be in the environment, may also help. Beyond these measures, there is no proven effective way of eliminating the risk of learning disabilities. However, early diagnosis often leads to a more effective treatment plan. Many children who are diagnosed with learning disabilities can go on to be very successful in school and in life.

Continue Learning about Learning Disabilities (LD)

How do I know if my child has a learning disability?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
An estimated one in 10 school-age children has a learning disability. About two-thirds of these chil...
What happens to people who have learning disabilities?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Although different from person to person, the difficulties of learning disabilities make up the comm...
What are developmental speech and language disorders?
Rebecca JarzynskiRebecca Jarzynski
Developmental speech and language disorders are those speech and language disorders that occur durin...
What are the symptoms of learning disabilities?
Symptoms of learning disabilities often become apparent when children enter school, especially when ...