What can I do to help control learning disabilities?

Even though learning disabilities can't be cured, there is still cause for hope. Because certain learning problems reflect delayed development, many children do eventually catch up. Of the speech and language disorders, children who have an articulation or an expressive language disorder are the least likely to have long-term problems. Despite initial delays, most children do learn to speak.

For people with dyslexia, the outlook is mixed. But an appropriate remedial reading program can help learners make great strides. With age, and appropriate help from parents and clinicians, children with ADHD become better able to suppress their hyperactivity and to channel it into more socially acceptable behaviors. The problem may take less disruptive forms, such as fidgeting.

Can an adult be helped?For example, can an adult with dyslexia still learn to read? In many cases, the answer is yes. It may not come as easily as for a child. It may take more time and more repetition, and it may even take more diverse teaching methods. But we know more about reading and about adult learning than ever before. We know that adults have a wealth of life experience to build on as they learn. And because adults choose to learn, they do so with a determination that most children don't have. A variety of literacy and adult education programs sponsored by libraries, public schools, and community colleges are available to help adults develop skills in reading, writing, and math. Some of these programs, as well as private and nonprofit tutoring and learning centers, provide appropriate programs for adults with LD.

Continue Learning about Learning Disabilities (LD) Alternative Treatments

Is there a cure for learning disabilities?
Learning disabilities may be caused by a variety of factors, including genetic defects. Although res...
What should I expect when I see a doctor for a learning disability?
If you see a doctor about your child's learning disability symptoms, he or she will want to know abo...
How can I help my child cope with a learning disability?
The goal of any type of support from a child with a learning disability is to give the child strateg...
What is the prognosis for learning disabilities?
Riverside Center for NeurosciencesRiverside Center for Neurosciences
Learning disabilities can be lifelong conditions. In some people, several overlapping learning disab...