Before turning to daily laxative use, you may try to eat more fiber-rich foods, exercise regularly and drink plenty of fluids. Fiber laxatives such as Metamucil or Citrucel are easy on the body and safe for longer term, daily use. Stimulant laxatives such as Ex-Lax are harder on the bowels and should not be used daily. Talk to your doctor about which fiber laxative is best for you.
- Q Who should not take bulk-forming laxatives?
- Q What are HalfLytely and Bisacodyl Tablets?
- Q What should I know before taking HalfLytely and Bisacodyl?
- Q Should I let my doctor know I am taking bulk-forming laxatives?
- Q What are bulk-forming laxatives?
- Q Is it safe for me to use laxatives all the time?