Before turning to daily laxative use, you may try to eat more fiber-rich foods, exercise regularly and drink plenty of fluids. Fiber laxatives such as Metamucil or Citrucel are easy on the body and safe for longer term, daily use. Stimulant laxatives such as Ex-Lax are harder on the bowels and should not be used daily. Talk to your doctor about which fiber laxative is best for you.
- Q What are the risks of using laxatives to treat constipation?
- Q What are HalfLytely and Bisacodyl Tablets?
- Q Is it safe for me to use laxatives all the time?
- Q Why should older adults avoid taking stimulant laxatives?
- Q How do oral laxatives work?
- Q What should I avoid while taking a bulk-forming laxative?