Before turning to daily laxative use, you may try to eat more fiber-rich foods, exercise regularly and drink plenty of fluids. Fiber laxatives such as Metamucil or Citrucel are easy on the body and safe for longer term, daily use. Stimulant laxatives such as Ex-Lax are harder on the bowels and should not be used daily. Talk to your doctor about which fiber laxative is best for you.
- Q What is laxative abuse?
- Q Should I let my doctor know I am taking bulk-forming laxatives?
- Q Who should not take HalfLytely and Bisacodyl Tablets?
- Q Who should not take bulk-forming laxatives?
- Q Do bulk-forming laxatives have any side effects?
- Q Do HalfLytely and Bisacodyl Tablets interact with other drugs?