Before turning to daily laxative use, you may try to eat more fiber-rich foods, exercise regularly and drink plenty of fluids. Fiber laxatives such as Metamucil or Citrucel are easy on the body and safe for longer term, daily use. Stimulant laxatives such as Ex-Lax are harder on the bowels and should not be used daily. Talk to your doctor about which fiber laxative is best for you.
- Q Do bulk-forming laxatives have any side effects?
- Q Who should not take HalfLytely and Bisacodyl Tablets?
- Q Why should older adults avoid taking stimulant laxatives?
- Q What should I avoid while taking a bulk-forming laxative?
- Q How do bulk-forming laxatives relieve constipation?
- Q What should I know before taking HalfLytely and Bisacodyl?