What is liposuction recovery like?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Recovery from liposuction is usually quite quick. Depending upon the areas that are sculpted, full recovery can take up to 6 weeks for the remaining swelling and edema to resolve. Our patients are placed in compression garments for 6-8 weeks to help reduce the swelling and allow for better contouring and skin tightening. Patients undergoing tumescent liposuction in my practice may return to work in about 3 days. Our patients are given oral antibiotics for 7 days, and pain medication for the first 3-4 days. Ice compression may also be very helpful for both pain reduction and decreased swelling.

Continue Learning about Laser Liposuction

Can I opt for liposuction as treatment for obesity?
Liposuction is not a treatment for obesity. In this procedure, a surgeon removes fat from under the ...
What makes the laser fat removal procedure unique from existing procedures?
Lawrence S. Bass, MDLawrence S. Bass, MD
Laser fat removal is a non-invasive, customizable treatment that uses heat to shock the fat cells in...
When should I call my doctor if I had liposuction?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Patients should contact their surgeon immediately after liposuction for signs of infection, bleeding...
Is professional massage recommended after liposuction?
Dr. Stuart A. Linder, MDDr. Stuart A. Linder, MD
Professional massage treatment may be useful after liposuction. The final results, however should no...