Q

Laser Liposuction

What is laser fat removal?

• A , Plastic Surgery, answered

Laser liposuction also referred to as SmartLipo is useful when combined with traditional tumescent technique. I use the Laser liposuction to emulsify the superficial fat layer and suction the fat out with a separate cannula. First the laser is placed under the skin in fanning motions to reach a maximal joule level and then repositioned to the next area. SmartLipo is most useful for small localized areas including the face, neck and arms. It is less useful for full body sculpting procedures. I prefer the tumescent liposuction technique with 3mm cannulae for sculpting the lateral breast, bra bulge, abdomen, hips, thighs and the infragluteal folds. Small amounts of laser fat may be reabsorbed by the body without suctioning, however most larger sculpted areas require using a liposuction cannula to further remove the aspirate.

• A , Plastic Surgery, answered
    What is laser fat removal?
    Laser fat removal is a new, non-invasive technique that uses a special device to heat up and shock body fat, which then is removed from the body naturally and permanently. Watch plastic surgeon Lawrence Bass, MD, discuss how this treatment works. 
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
When should I call my doctor if I had liposuction?