What is an adjustable gastric band?

Dr. Melissa B. Bagloo, MD
Bariatric Medicine (Obesity Medicine) Specialist
The adjustable gastric band is a silastic band that is placed around the top part of the stomach. This limits the amount of food someone can eat. It does not cause any hormonal changes, as is seen with the Roux-en-Y gastric bypass or the sleeve gastrectomy and the benefits are seen only through weight loss. The adjustable gastric band is more controversial in terms of efficacy for resolution of metabolic syndrome than the operations, and the long-term outcomes are less effective as well.

The adjustable gastric band is a type of restrictive weight loss surgery. The band limits your food intake to aid in weight loss.

Continue Learning about Lap Band Surgery (Adjustable Gastric Banding)

What are the risks with gastric banding?
Curtis L. Peery, MDCurtis L. Peery, MD
Properly inserted, lap bands help people feel full early in the meal and be sated for three or more ...
What are the risks of LAP-BAND surgery?
Neil S. McDevitt, MDNeil S. McDevitt, MD
The LAP-BAND procedure is minimally invasive, but it does come with some risks. In this video, baria...
Which Weight Loss Surgery Is the Safest?
Will My Insurance Cover Weight Loss Surgery?