How effective is lap band surgery for weight loss?

Weight loss with lap band surgery has been quite inconsistent with only about one-third of people achieving a weight loss considered acceptable in weight loss surgery. Someone who has surgery for weight loss is expected to lose 50 to 70% of their excess weight in one year. Only about one-third of people achieve that with a lap band.

The way that things have gone both in the United States and worldwide is that the lap band operation has very much fallen out of favor. In the last couple of years the percentage of lap bands that are going in has dropped off to a great degree, and a lot more bands are being taken out. What the Europeans have discovered—and they are a little bit further ahead of the United States in their experience—is that about 50% of lap bands need to be removed at some point.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified health care provider.

Continue Learning about Lap Band Surgery (Adjustable Gastric Banding)

How will my eating change if I get lap band surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Your diet after LAP-BAND surgery will be restrictive but will depend on your surgeon's preference.
How do I talk to my doctor about weight loss surgery?
Mohsin Q. Soliman, MDMohsin Q. Soliman, MD
To talk to your doctor about weight loss surgery, simply express to your doctor your inability to su...
How Does Restrictive Weight Loss Surgery Keep Me from Overeating?
Why Should I Go to an Information Seminar before Weight Loss Surgery?