What surgical procedures are used in spinal surgery?

Gerald M. Silverman
Chiropractic Medicine
There are a wide range of surgical procedures used in spinal surgery. The most extreme includes removing portions of the vertebrae (laminectomy) and inserting either bone chips or metallic devices to cause the bones above and below the surgery site to fuse together. This surgery requires the patient to spend several days in the hospital and is followed by a recovery period that often includes a physical therapy program. On the other end of the surgical spectrum, there is microdiscectomy, a relatively simple outpatient procedure that removes just a small portion of a disc. The correct surgical approach is determined by the size and location of the herniation, or the degree of degeneration. Finding the right surgeon -- one who will take the time to discuss all options and alternatives, and one who has a solid reputation for performing these procedures -- is important to your outcome.
Your Miraculous Back: A Step-By-Step Guide to Relieving Neck & Back Pain

Many of us complain about our 'bad back,' but this book argues that our backs are, without exception, amazing examples of bioengineering, capable of dramatic feats of strength, flexibility, and...

Continue Learning about Laminectomy

How should I prepare for a lumbar laminectomy?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
To prepare for a lumbar laminectomy, you will need to complete any ordered presurgical lab work, ele...
What can I expect after having a lumbar laminectomy?
After having a lumbar laminectomy, you will first go to the recovery room for monitoring, where nurs...
Could a lumbar laminectomy cause my feet to feel numb?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
A lumbar laminectomy is the removal of the back part of the bony structure of the vertebra. When the...
What is a laminectomy?
Keolanui G. Chun, MDKeolanui G. Chun, MD
Laminectomy is the removal of both sides of the lamina (the bony arch of the vertebrae) so surgeons ...