What is a laminectomy?

Keolanui G. Chun, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Laminectomy is the removal of both sides of the lamina (the bony arch of the vertebrae) so surgeons can gain access to the spinal canal. In this video, Keola Chun, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Riverside Community Hospital, describes the process.

Continue Learning about Laminectomy

What can I expect after having a lumbar laminectomy?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
After having a lumbar laminectomy, you will first go to the recovery room for monitoring, where nurs...
Could a lumbar laminectomy cause my feet to feel numb?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
A lumbar laminectomy is the removal of the back part of the bony structure of the vertebra. When the...
How should I prepare for a lumbar laminectomy?
To prepare for a lumbar laminectomy, you will need to complete any ordered presurgical lab work, ele...
What surgical procedures are used in spinal surgery?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
There are a wide range of surgical procedures used in spinal surgery. The most extreme includes ...