Could a lumbar laminectomy cause my feet to feel numb?

A lumbar laminectomy is the removal of the back part of the bony structure of the vertebra. When the surgeon is removing the bone, some of the nerve roots may need to be moved and/or protected. This movement/protection of the nerve roots may cause you to experience symptoms that you did not have prior to surgery. This may be the cause of the numbness in your feet. 

Continue Learning about Laminectomy

What surgical procedures are used in spinal surgery?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
There are a wide range of surgical procedures used in spinal surgery. The most extreme includes ...
How should I prepare for a lumbar laminectomy?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
To prepare for a lumbar laminectomy, you will need to complete any ordered presurgical lab work, ele...
What can I expect after having a lumbar laminectomy?
After having a lumbar laminectomy, you will first go to the recovery room for monitoring, where nurs...
What is a laminectomy?
Keolanui G. Chun, MDKeolanui G. Chun, MD
Laminectomy is the removal of both sides of the lamina (the bony arch of the vertebrae) so surgeons ...