How should I prepare for a lumbar laminectomy?

To prepare for a lumbar laminectomy, you will need to complete any ordered presurgical lab work, electrocardiogram (EKG) and x-rays. You must not have anything to eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery: no gum, mints, sips of water or coffee. You may brush your teeth. If you have been instructed by your doctor to take a medication the morning of surgery, take it with the smallest sips of water possible.

On the day of the surgery, it's important that you arrive on time and check in. You will need a list of your medications with times and dosages. You will then be taken to a presurgical area where:
  • your surgical procedure will be confirmed
  • you will put on a hospital gown
  • you will have an intravenous (IV) line inserted
  • you will have a visit from anesthesiologist

Continue Learning about Laminectomy

Could a lumbar laminectomy cause my feet to feel numb?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
A lumbar laminectomy is the removal of the back part of the bony structure of the vertebra. When the...
What is a laminectomy?
Keolanui G. Chun, MDKeolanui G. Chun, MD
Laminectomy is the removal of both sides of the lamina (the bony arch of the vertebrae) so surgeons ...
What surgical procedures are used in spinal surgery?
Gerald M. SilvermanGerald M. Silverman
There are a wide range of surgical procedures used in spinal surgery. The most extreme includes ...
What can I expect after having a lumbar laminectomy?
Los Robles Hospital & Medical CenterLos Robles Hospital & Medical Center
After having a lumbar laminectomy, you will first go to the recovery room for monitoring, where nurs...