How common is lactose malabsorption?

Patsy Catsos
Lactose insufficiency is very rarely seen in infants and young children. However, up to 90 percent of adults have some degree of lactose malabsorption, particularly those of African, Jewish, Native-American, Mexican and Asian descent. In parts of the world (especially northern Europe) where the climate allows dairy cows to be raised, milk and milk products are a major part of the economy and cuisine. Interestingly, people descended from northern Europe tend to retain the ability to digest lactose into adulthood, at least to some degree.
IBS: Free at Last! Change Your Carbs, Change Your Life with the FODMAP Elimination Diet, 2nd Edition

IBS should not make you skip a beat—get your groove back! Tired of missing the fun because of your irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Confused about what to eat? Think you’re the only one who feels...

Continue Learning about Lactose Intolerance

What to Do If You Think You’re Lactose Intolerant
These days, more and more people are embracing the dairy-free life. Whether it’s because of a lactose intolerance or a gut sensitivity, plant-based da...
If I cannot eat dairy foods, how can I get enough calcium?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
If you cannot eat dairy foods, you can get enough calcium from many other foods. Almost any nondairy...
What can I expect on eating lactose if I am lactose intolerant?
After eating foods with lactose in them, you may feel sick to your stomach. You may also have cramps...
Is Almond Milk Right for You?
Is Almond Milk Right for You?