How will I know when my water breaks?

It is not always easy to know. If your water breaks, it could be a gush or a slow trickle of amniotic (AM-nee-OT-ihk) fluid. Rupture of membranes is the medical term for your water breaking. Let your doctor know the time your water breaks and any color or odor. Also, call your doctor if you think your water broke, but are not sure. An easy test can tell your doctor if the leaking fluid is urine (many pregnant women leak urine) or amniotic fluid. Often a woman will go into labor soon after her water breaks. When this does not happen, her doctor may want to induce (bring about) labor. This is because once your water breaks, your risk of getting an infection goes up as labor is delayed.

This answer is based on source information from the National Women's Health Information Center.

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing Specialist

Even if you're not sure you're feeling a gush of pee or your water has broken, call your healthcare provider, advises nurse midwife Paula Greer. Watch the video to learn more about when to head to your birthing facility.

Continue Learning about Labor Symptoms & Pregnancy

What is back pain during labor?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Back pain during labor results if the baby's head presses on his mom's tailbone. In this video, ...
What are the signs I should see to recognize labor pains?
As you approach your due date, you will be looking for any little sign that labor is about to start....
What Are Braxton-Hicks Contractions?
What Are Braxton-Hicks Contractions?
How Will I Know When My Water Breaks?
How Will I Know When My Water Breaks?