Can my doctor predict when I will go into labor?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Even if you have the pre-labor signs—lost mucus plug, bloody show, ripened cervix—your doctor cannot estimate how long it will take to go into labor. It is different for every woman. Some women may even require induced labor. Contact your doctor if you have any concerns or think you are going into labor.

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing Specialist

Labor can be as individual and unpredictable as a woman herself. There is no absolute way to predict when someone will go into spontaneous labor at term. As an experienced midwife sometimes I feel that thin buttery soft cervix that tells me it's going to be in the next few days but alas still doesn’t tell me whether I will get sleep that night or be heading to the hospital. There is an old saying that when the apple is ripe it will fall. The saying is kind of like the ripe cervix that will soon open but like Mother Nature both can still fool us and keep us humble.

Continue Learning about Labor Symptoms & Pregnancy

What do I do if I'm having labor contractions?
Linda S. Katz, MDLinda S. Katz, MD
If you start having labor contractions, keep track of the time between each one. In this video, I wi...
What is back pain during labor?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Back pain during labor results if the baby's head presses on his mom's tailbone. In this video, ...
How Will I Know When My Water Breaks?
How Will I Know When My Water Breaks?
What Are Braxton-Hicks Contractions?
What Are Braxton-Hicks Contractions?