What is water therapy during labor?

Water therapy is the nouveau pain relief technique during labor. Soaking in a tub of warm water seems to help relax the uterus and alleviate pain. Newer hospitals often have tubs. If yours doesn't, you can rent one.

Some have also found that injections of sterile water relieve pain. The injections are given in four spots above the crease of the buttocks, and while the injection is kind of painful, it may work to relieve overall pain by redirecting some of your pain from the nerves that are associated with labor.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...
Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Laboring in water has been shown to lower blood pressure by relaxing the mother to be and reducing her stress. Taking a warm bath or shower at home can be comforting and very relaxing in early labor. As labor progresses the birthing tub found in birthing centers and many hospitals with birthing rooms have been shown to reduce pain and help the baby get in a better position for birth. Women who labor in tubs are less likely to use medication for pain and report a higher pain satisfaction score.

Continue Learning about Labor Stages

How will I feel as labor progresses?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
For many first-time mothers it can take a day or more to get to 3 or 4 centimeters dilation, which s...
What body positions should I try as I push during labor?
Women labor in all sorts of ways: squatting, sitting on the toilet, side-lying with one leg supporte...
What is the transition phase of labor?
Deborah Raines, MSNDeborah Raines, MSN
The transition phase of labor is the most intense and difficult phase of labor for most women. Howev...
How can I manage labor pain?
Virtually all women worry about how they will cope with the pain of labor and delivery. Childbirth i...