How is a baby born?

Delivering a baby can take hours or days. Watch as Dr. Oz goes through the stages of birth in an animated video about how a woman gives birth to her baby.

Babies are born following the work of labor which dilates the cervix or the lower end of the female uterus. Once the cervix is completely dilated the woman pushes the fetus through the birth canal until the baby emerges from the perineum. A birth that results from this process is termed a vaginal birth. Sometimes circumstances preclude a vaginal birth and the baby is born by a cesarean delivery. A cesarean delivery is major abdominal surgery during which an incision is made into the abdominal wall and uterus and the baby is born through this opening.

Continue Learning about Labor Stages

How will I feel while giving birth?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
When the baby moves under your pubic arch, your perineum stretches slowly to accommodate the head. W...
How will I feel as labor progresses?
For many first-time mothers it can take a day or more to get to 3 or 4 centimeters dilation, which s...
What happens during labor?
Paula GreerPaula Greer
Labor is a process that involves involuntary muscular contractions of the uterus that dilates the ce...
How will I know that I'm ready to push out my baby?
More rapid, intense contractions; a powerful "opening up" feeling; and rectal pressure are signs tha...