What are risks of general anesthesia during labor?

A major risk during general anesthesia in labor is caused by food or liquids in the woman's stomach. Labor can cause undigested food to stay in the stomach. During unconsciousness, this food could come back into the mouth and go into the lungs where it can cause damage. To avoid this, you are usually told not to eat or drink once labor has started. If you need general anesthesia, your anesthesiologist will place a breathing tube into your mouth and windpipe after you are asleep. If you are having a cesarean delivery, you also will be given an antacid to reduce stomach acid. In most cases, clear fluids are allowed during labor.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
Can I have a vaginal delivery if my labor slows or stops?
Margit S. Lister, MDMargit S. Lister, MD
If your labor slows or stops, we usually give you approximately two hours at that stage, whateve...
Can an epidural slow down labor?
American Society of AnesthesiologistsAmerican Society of Anesthesiologists
Epidural analgesia allows for excellent pain management, has been used for over 50 years in obstetri...
What Are the Most Common Misconceptions About Labor?