What is the perineum?

Emily Nagoski
Emily Nagoski on behalf of Good In Bed
The area between where the bottom of the vaginal opening and the anus is called the perineum. It is sensitive to both light touch (like stroking) and deep pressure (like massage). The perineum is sensitive to deep pressure because of its proximity to sensitive internal organs. Its sensitivity is about the same as the tissue immediately adjacent to the clitoris.
The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

The Good in Bed Guide to Female Orgasms

Want to learn how to achieve 487 different kinds of orgasms?If so, you’re reading the wrong guidebook. Despite what many in the media would have you believe, there’s no such thing as a rainbow...

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
Can I have a vaginal delivery if my labor slows or stops?
Margit S. Lister, MDMargit S. Lister, MD
If your labor slows or stops, we usually give you approximately two hours at that stage, whateve...
What are the medical conditions that can require a C-section?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
For women who have certain medical conditions - including heart, kidney, or neurological diseases; f...
What Are the Most Common Misconceptions About Labor?