How can I talk to my doctor about a birth plan and be taken seriously?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

To discuss your birth plan, make an appointment and request to meet with your doctor in his/her office, not the examination room. You need to be dressed (not in a patient gown) and be prepared with a list of the items that are important to you. Be prepared to have a conversation, open communications and listening to each person's perspective is best for everyone. Explain to the doctor what is important to you and listen to the doctor's response. The most important thing is the safety and health of you and your baby. Most professionals are willing to help you achieve your birth experience goals while maintaining a safe environment for both mother and baby.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

what exercises can i do while pregnant to avoid breech birth ?
There are exercises you can do at home to encourage your baby to flip into the correct position to b...
is it normal if i do not go into labor by the end of 40 weeks ?
Many women are still pregnant past 40 weeks; over half, in fact. There are some things you can do to...
what are the most common misconceptions about labor ?
understanding and treating pms
understanding and treating pms