How can I talk to my doctor about a birth plan and be taken seriously?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

To discuss your birth plan, make an appointment and request to meet with your doctor in his/her office, not the examination room. You need to be dressed (not in a patient gown) and be prepared with a list of the items that are important to you. Be prepared to have a conversation, open communications and listening to each person's perspective is best for everyone. Explain to the doctor what is important to you and listen to the doctor's response. The most important thing is the safety and health of you and your baby. Most professionals are willing to help you achieve your birth experience goals while maintaining a safe environment for both mother and baby.

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Tell your doctor about your plans for giving birth. In this video, Dr. Oz talks about how to find the right doctor for you.

You should be able to talk to your doctor about a birth plan and be taken seriously. If your doctor doesn’t take you or your wishes seriously it is probably time to find another doctor. Your doctor should be willing and open to listen and provide guidance and understanding of the birth process and potential complications.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
Are opiates a good option for pain relief during labor?
Narcotics called opiates can also be given to relieve pain. There is some link between opiates and r...
How can women become more confident about giving birth?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Women can create a climate of confidence by focusing on their bodies capacity to give birth. Such a ...
What Common Mistakes Do Women Make During Childbirth?