How does local anesthesia work during labor and delivery?

During labor and delivery, local anesthesia provides numbness or loss of sensation in a small area. It does not, however, lessen the pain of contractions. 

A procedure called an episiotomy may be done by your obstetrician before delivery. Local anesthesia is helpful when an episiotomy needs to be done or when any vaginal tears that happened during birth are repaired.

Local anesthesia rarely affects the baby. There usually are no side effects after the local anesthetic has worn off.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Should You Keep This After Your Baby Is Born?
As medical science advances, more and more pregnant women and their families are pondering a new question as they prepare to deliver: should I save my...
How can I tell if I have diastasis recti?
Rick OldermanRick Olderman
To test whether you have a significant separation of your abdominal muscles or diastasis recti, ...
What should I include in my birth plan?
Dr. Peter T. Nassar, MDDr. Peter T. Nassar, MD
The first thing you should do is discuss the plan with your doctor, as your doctor will help guide y...
What Should I Bring to the Hospital When I Give Birth?