How will I know if I'll be able to handle pain during labor?

Paula Greer
Midwifery Nursing

Some moms-to-be assume they won't be able to handle the pain of childbirth; many find they have more inner resources than they thought they would. In this video, nurse midwife Paula Greer discusses alternatives for dealing with labor pain worth knowing about before the first contraction.

Continue Learning about Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

Labor, Delivery & Post Period Of Pregnancy

The first signs of labor can be the loss of your mucus plug, your water breaking, and/or regular contractions. Labor progresses in stages and normal progression means that vaginal delivery is possible. If there are complications, ...

your doctor may choose to delivery through C-section to lower the risk of trauma to you and your baby. After delivery, you may experience sore breasts, incontinence, vaginal discharge, hemorrhoids, and discomfort around your vagina (especially if an episiotomy was conducted). Some mothers experience what is known as the baby blues which may include crying, irritability, or sadness. This is often due to the hormonal and physical changes that take place after childbirth. Talk to your doctor if your physical or emotional symptoms become more serious.