What is a chorionic villus sampling (CVS) test?

Chorionic villus sampling (CVS) is a diagnostic test performed between the 10th and 12th week of pregnancy in which a tiny sample of cells is removed from the placenta, cultured in a laboratory, and the DNA is examined for genetic content. Because the placenta is made up of cells that derive from the same fertilized egg as the fetus, it's an ideal resource for DNA that can reveal any genetic abnormalities in your developing baby (or for a paternity test). The advantage of CVS over amniocentesis is that you can have the test done much earlier (amnio is usually performed between 16 and 20 weeks).

While CVS can detect up to 200 different genetic defects with 98-99 percent accuracy (including Tay Sachs, cystic fibrosis, and hemophilia), it cannot detect neural tube defects such as spina bifida, which can be picked up by amniocentesis.
YOU: Having a Baby: The Owner's Manual to a Happy and Healthy Pregnancy

Can I get a cavity filled while pregnant? Will avoiding spicy foods make my kid a picky eater? Can I really increase my baby's IQ while she's in utero? Whether you're pregnant for the first time,...

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

what is a sickle cell solubility test ?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
A sickle cell solubility test is a quick test to screen for sickle cell disease or sickle trait. “So...
how can i find out if lab tests are performed at a doctor office ?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
Call the doctor's office to determine if laboratory tests or diagnostic tests are performed there. M...
what is a viral culture ?
A viral culture is a laboratory test in which a sample of cells is taken from a part of the body, a ...
what is the process for getting a blood sample taken ?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Blood samples are taken by a doctor, nurse or another healthcare professional. The process for getti...