What happens to my blood sample after its taken?

After your blood sample is taken, the person who took your blood will write your name on the bottle. Scientists analyze your blood sample in the laboratory and send the results to your doctor. Your doctor will explain the results of your blood test to you. Your body will make new blood to replace the blood taken for the test very quickly.

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

What are sensitivity and specificity?
Marc B. Garnick, MDMarc B. Garnick, MD
When describing clinical tests, doctors and researchers often use the terms sensitivity and specific...
What does my total protein level tell me?
These levels are used in the evaluation of nutritional status, liver synthetic functions, kidney syn...
How can I talk to my child about having blood work done?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Talk to your child about having blood work done by explaining that blood work is taking a sample of ...
Should I have a blood workup?
Janelle Gallo , NASM Elite TrainerJanelle Gallo , NASM Elite Trainer
It is always helpful to get annual bloodwork done. This is a great way to see whether physiologicall...