What are sensitivity and specificity?

Marc B. Garnick, MD
Hematology & Oncology
When describing clinical tests, doctors and researchers often use the terms sensitivity and specificity. These are statistical measures of how well the test performs. Sensitivity reflects the percentage of time the test results are positive  in people who actually have the disease or condition. Specificity reflects the percentage of time the test results are negative  in those who do not have the disease or condition.

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

Are there any side effects of using pregnancy testing kits?
Pregnancy testing kits are OTC cases that can be used at home to determine pregnancy. These involve ...
What does it mean to have a high CPK reading?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
CPK is the abbreviation for a blood test called creatine phosphokinase. CPK is an enzyme found prima...
What does Trans Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL) measure?
Trans Epidermal Water Loss is the measurement of how much water moves through and leaves the outer l...
What questions should I ask my doctor about cholesterol tests?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having a cholesterol/lipids te...