What is the process for getting a blood sample taken?

Blood samples are taken by a doctor, nurse or another healthcare professional. The process for getting a blood sample taken is as follows:

• The healthcare professional ties a tight band called a tourniquet around the person's upper arm. This makes it easier to find a vein.
  • The skin is cleaned with a wipe to get rid of any germs before the blood test.
  • A small needle is put through the skin and into the vein. It feels like a sharp pinch that doesn't last long. The needle is attached to a tube that sucks up a small sample of blood.
  • The tourniquet is removed, the needle is removed and a bandage is put on where the needle was put through the skin.

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

Why do I have to fast before a cholesterol blood test?
In order to accurately and consistently measure a cholesterol panel, fasting is required before a bl...
What is gastric analysis?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Gastric analysis is used to evaluate gastric secretory function and to identify Zollinger-Ellison sy...
What does Trans Epidermal Water Loss (TEWL) measure?
Trans Epidermal Water Loss is the measurement of how much water moves through and leaves the outer l...
Should I have a blood workup?
Janelle Gallo , NASM Elite TrainerJanelle Gallo , NASM Elite Trainer
It is always helpful to get annual bloodwork done. This is a great way to see whether physiologicall...