What is the process for getting a blood sample taken?

Blood samples are taken by a doctor, nurse or another healthcare professional. The process for getting a blood sample taken is as follows:

• The healthcare professional ties a tight band called a tourniquet around the person's upper arm. This makes it easier to find a vein.
  • The skin is cleaned with a wipe to get rid of any germs before the blood test.
  • A small needle is put through the skin and into the vein. It feels like a sharp pinch that doesn't last long. The needle is attached to a tube that sucks up a small sample of blood.
  • The tourniquet is removed, the needle is removed and a bandage is put on where the needle was put through the skin.

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

Can lung cancer be diagnosed with a blood test?
Blood counts and blood chemistry tests cannot be used alone to diagnose lung cancer. However, they c...
What does my total protein level tell me?
These levels are used in the evaluation of nutritional status, liver synthetic functions, kidney syn...
How should I interpret the results of liver function tests?
Spencer D. Kroll, MDSpencer D. Kroll, MD
Although the elevation of liver enzymes do not strictly represent liver function abnormalities, the ...
Should I have a blood workup?
Janelle Gallo , NASM Elite TrainerJanelle Gallo , NASM Elite Trainer
It is always helpful to get annual bloodwork done. This is a great way to see whether physiologicall...