What is the process for getting a blood sample taken?

Blood samples are taken by a doctor, nurse or another healthcare professional. The process for getting a blood sample taken is as follows:

• The healthcare professional ties a tight band called a tourniquet around the person's upper arm. This makes it easier to find a vein.
  • The skin is cleaned with a wipe to get rid of any germs before the blood test.
  • A small needle is put through the skin and into the vein. It feels like a sharp pinch that doesn't last long. The needle is attached to a tube that sucks up a small sample of blood.
  • The tourniquet is removed, the needle is removed and a bandage is put on where the needle was put through the skin.

Continue Learning about Lab Tests

Are there any side effects of using pregnancy testing kits?
Pregnancy testing kits are OTC cases that can be used at home to determine pregnancy. These involve ...
What does it mean to have a high CPK reading?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
CPK is the abbreviation for a blood test called creatine phosphokinase. CPK is an enzyme found prima...
Why do I have to fast before a cholesterol blood test?
In order to accurately and consistently measure a cholesterol panel, fasting is required before a bl...
What happens to my blood sample after its taken?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
After your blood sample is taken, the person who took your blood will write your name on the bottle....