Will I need to be sedated during knee replacement surgery?

You will need to be sedated during knee replacement surgery. Doctors usually use a spinal anesthesia with a little long-acting morphine. They also will infiltrate local anesthesia about your knee to improve the pain relief. You will also have some supplemental sedation.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Have you had to cut back on activities of daily living because of knee pain? Have you found it more difficult to negotiate stairs, get out of your car...
What should I bring to the hospital for my knee replacement surgery?
Umesh T. Bhagia, MDUmesh T. Bhagia, MD
Orthopedic surgeon Umesh Bhagia, MD explains what to do in the days before knee replacement surgery ...
Can I have knee surgery if I have spinal stenosis?
Angela Mark, MDAngela Mark, MD
Typically that should be okay however, if the spinal stenosis is severe it may need to be dealt with...
What a Knee Replacement Looks Like
What a Knee Replacement Looks Like