Why should I discuss my expectations with my doctor before TKR surgery?

William A. Leone, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Defining success for total knee replacement (TKR) surgery begins prior to surgery, during a frank discussion between you and your surgeon. The conversation should include what your goals are and if the surgeon thinks those goals are achievable and appropriate. Some goals simply are not reasonable, such as long-distance running or team soccer, particularly if the new joint is to enjoy longevity.

Unfortunately, there are a significant number of people who have undergone TKR and are not happy with the result. Some studies estimate 20% or more fall into this category. Defining success or a satisfactory result can mean two very different things to an individual who had the total knee versus the surgeon who implanted it. At the end of the day, it’s most important that the person who had the TKR is happy.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Dorothy spends her entireThe Wizard of Oz journey searching for a way home to Kansas, only to find the solution was as simple as clicking her ruby hee...
Will I need to be sedated during knee replacement surgery?
Medical City DallasMedical City Dallas
You will need to be sedated during knee replacement surgery. Doctors usually use a spinal anesthesia...
What is a cementless knee replacement?
A cementless knee replacement uses a special type of artificial joint that is held in place by bone ...
Is There a TIme Frame on How Long a Knee Replacement Should Last?