What should I do if my knee swells after knee replacement surgery?

Travis M. Hendry, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Some swelling after knee replacement surgery is normal. Many patients experience enough swelling to make their knee feel stiff for several months. It should decrease every week, however.
  • Elevating your leg can usually reduce swelling. Especially during the first few weeks, prop your leg up whenever you're sitting. Apply an ice pack.
  • If swelling continues to increase and does not improve when you elevate your leg, you could have a blood clot, bleeding, or an infection. If swelling and pain get worse, contact your surgeon. You may be asked to go to the hospital for tests.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Dorothy spends her entireThe Wizard of Oz journey searching for a way home to Kansas, only to find the solution was as simple as clicking her ruby hee...
How does a total knee replacement work?
In a knee replacement, doctors resurface the ends of bones and attach artificial joint surfaces,...
What should I have in my house before knee replacement surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To avoid having to run errands while you're recovering, make sure you have these things on hand befo...
Is There a TIme Frame on How Long a Knee Replacement Should Last?