Q

Knee Replacement

What will my incision look like after knee replacement surgery?

• A Orthopedic Surgery, answered on behalf of
    What Will My Incision Look Like After Knee Replacement Surgery?
    Watch orthopedic surgeon Umesh Bhagia, MD from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center explain the location, size and closure technique of an incision for minimally invasive knee replacement surgery.
    In this video Paul Toogood, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Regional Medical Center of San Jose, explains what to expect in the first couple of weeks following knee replacement surgery, along with the techniques used to close the incision. 
    Your knee replacement surgery incision will be closed with a suture that is beneath the skin and covered with steri-strips. Some surgeons use staples. It will be wrapped in a bulky dressing. You may have an ice pack put over it to reduce swelling. You may also have a drain to remove fluids from your incision. While you're in the hospital, a nurse will check your incision every day.
    1 person found this helpful.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How can I help myself to recover from knee replacement surgery?