How does a total knee replacement work?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
In a knee replacement, doctors resurface the ends of bones and attach artificial joint surfaces, or prostheses, that can move together without causing pain. The ends of the femur, or thigh bone, and top of the tibia, or shin bone, are resurfaced, and the prostheses are attached permanently. Healing and physical therapy can take months. Knee replacement is usually done in older people, but it can be done in younger people in cases where the joint is damaged to the point that a total replacement is the only option.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Have you had to cut back on activities of daily living because of knee pain? Have you found it more difficult to negotiate stairs, get out of your car...
How can I avoid complications after knee replacement surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Now that you're home after knee replacement surgery, it's important to take your pain medication exa...
What can I expect from a total knee replacement surgery?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
A total knee replacement should relieve knee pain and increase your ability to bend your knee. Y...
How Satisfied Are Patients After Knee Replacement Surgery?