How long after knee replacement surgery can I fully straighten my knee?

Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Medicine
You should be able to passively (with the help of someone else) straighten your leg immediately after surgery.  Being able to actively straighten you own leg will depend on your leg strength or weakness prior to the surgery.  If you had good muscle strength prior to your knee replacement, you may be able to straighten the leg immediately after surgery.  If you had leg weakness prior to surgery, it may take several weeks to fully straighten the leg.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Have you had to cut back on activities of daily living because of knee pain? Have you found it more difficult to negotiate stairs, get out of your car...
What should I bring to the hospital for my knee replacement surgery?
Umesh T. Bhagia, MDUmesh T. Bhagia, MD
Orthopedic surgeon Umesh Bhagia, MD explains what to do in the days before knee replacement surgery ...
How does a total knee replacement work?
In a knee replacement, doctors resurface the ends of bones and attach artificial joint surfaces,...
What a Knee Replacement Looks Like
What a Knee Replacement Looks Like