How can I prevent swelling after knee replacement surgery?

Some swelling at first is normal after knee replacement surgery. Ongoing swelling around your surgery site, though, can increase your pain and make your joint stiff. To prevent this:
  • Keep your leg elevated when you are sitting.
  • Wear your compression stocking for the number of weeks your doctor has prescribed. Unless your doctor tells you otherwise, you may leave it off for an hour or so each day.
  • Use an ice pack on the front and back of your knee. Your doctor or therapist will tell you how long to keep using ice packs.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Dorothy spends her entireThe Wizard of Oz journey searching for a way home to Kansas, only to find the solution was as simple as clicking her ruby hee...
How do I avoid a fall after knee replacement surgery?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
A fall during the first few weeks after knee replacement surgery can damage your new knee and ma...
What can I expect from a total knee replacement surgery?
A total knee replacement should relieve knee pain and increase your ability to bend your knee. Y...
What Causes Knee Joints to Wear Out?
What Causes Knee Joints to Wear Out?