How often is physical therapy needed before knee replacement surgery?

Before you have knee replacement surgery, your doctors will want to see you for physical therapy far enough in advance so that you will have an opportunity to build muscle strength around the joint. This will include six to eight weekly sessions of physical therapy. After total knee replacement surgery, you will absolutely need to participate in another six to eight weeks of sessions.

There is a Medicare cap on therapy for each year that a person can get reimbursed for, so we do receive some questions about that when we encourage people to participate in preoperative therapy.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Dorothy spends her entireThe Wizard of Oz journey searching for a way home to Kansas, only to find the solution was as simple as clicking her ruby hee...
How can I make my home safe after knee replacement recovery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
While you're recovering from knee replacement surgery, you'll need to be careful about reaching and ...
Can I care for myself at home after knee replacement surgery?
After reviewing your condition, your living situation, and your general health, you and your healthc...
What Is a Total Knee Replacement?
What Is a Total Knee Replacement?