How often is physical therapy needed before knee replacement surgery?

Before you have knee replacement surgery, your doctors will want to see you for physical therapy far enough in advance so that you will have an opportunity to build muscle strength around the joint. This will include six to eight weekly sessions of physical therapy. After total knee replacement surgery, you will absolutely need to participate in another six to eight weeks of sessions.

There is a Medicare cap on therapy for each year that a person can get reimbursed for, so we do receive some questions about that when we encourage people to participate in preoperative therapy.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Know Before You Go: Knee Replacement
Have you had to cut back on activities of daily living because of knee pain? Have you found it more difficult to negotiate stairs, get out of your car...
Why should I exercise regularly after knee replacement surgery?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
You must do your complete set of exercises as directed every day after your knee replacement sur...
What hip exercises should I do after total knee replacement surgery?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Doing the following hip exercises will help you recover after total knee replacement surgery. Becaus...
What Is a Total Knee Replacement?
What Is a Total Knee Replacement?