How can I make my home safe after knee replacement recovery?

While you're recovering from knee replacement surgery, you'll need to be careful about reaching and falling. Look for places in your home that could cause problems. Have someone help make your home safer by doing these things:
  • Make sure your chairs and couches are easy to get into and out of. Add pillows to low chairs if necessary.
  • Remove tripping hazards. Repair loose carpet and floor boards. Remove throw rugs, electrical cords, and anything you could trip over. If you have a small pet, put a bell on its collar so you'll always know if it's underfoot.
  • Make sure you'll have space to move around easily. If necessary, move furniture so you'll have spaces wide enough for a walker. Install handrails along stairways. Store often-used items within easy reach.
  • Prepare the bathroom and kitchen so you won't slip. Get a shower or bath chair with nonslip pads. Install a handrail in the bathroom.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Dorothy spends her entireThe Wizard of Oz journey searching for a way home to Kansas, only to find the solution was as simple as clicking her ruby hee...
What will my incision look like after knee replacement surgery?
Rose Medical CenterRose Medical Center
In most cases, the incision used in knee replacement surgery is a straight midline incision over the...
Is knee replacement required if someone has stress fractures?
Jeanne Morrison, PhDJeanne Morrison, PhD
No, a knee replacement is not needed because of a stress fracture.  The reason being is,  a stress f...
What Causes Knee Joints to Wear Out?
What Causes Knee Joints to Wear Out?