Can I drive after knee replacement surgery?

You can drive after knee replacement surgery if you have had a left knee replacement and you have stopped taking narcotics. If you have had surgery on your right knee, you should not drive for about four weeks. Most studies show that after knee replacement surgery people do not have normal reflexes, so if a child drove a bike in front of your car and you tried to jam on the brake, you may end up doing that too late. Some people don't follow this advice, but it’s really important that you do.

Dr. Travis M. Hendry, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

Get permission from your surgeon before your drive after knee replacement surgery. You need enough range of motion and muscle strength to help prevent an accident. You also need fast reflexes, so you cannot be taking narcotic pain medication. Most patients are given permission to drive after four weeks.

Continue Learning about Knee Replacement

Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Home Is Where the Healing Happens
Dorothy spends her entireThe Wizard of Oz journey searching for a way home to Kansas, only to find the solution was as simple as clicking her ruby hee...
What care can I expect after knee replacement surgery?
Travis M. Hendry, MDTravis M. Hendry, MD
Your health care providers will help you recover and build the strength you need to leave the ho...
Who is not a candidate for muscle-sparing knee replacement surgery?
Medical City DallasMedical City Dallas
The following people are not candidates for muscle-sparing knee replacement surgery: Somebody who...
What a Knee Replacement Looks Like
What a Knee Replacement Looks Like