Knee Replacement

Can I drive after knee replacement surgery?

• A Orthopedic Surgery, answered on behalf of
    You can drive after knee replacement surgery if you have had a left knee replacement and you have stopped taking narcotics. If you have had surgery on your right knee, you should not drive for about four weeks. Most studies show that after knee replacement surgery people do not have normal reflexes, so if a child drove a bike in front of your car and you tried to jam on the brake, you may end up doing that too late. Some people don't follow this advice, but it’s really important that you do.
    Get permission from your surgeon before your drive after knee replacement surgery. You need enough range of motion and muscle strength to help prevent an accident. You also need fast reflexes, so you cannot be taking narcotic pain medication. Most patients are given permission to drive after four weeks.
This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.
How do I avoid a fall after knee replacement surgery?