What things should I consider when my knee hurts?

Knee pain can be caused by trauma as in the case of sports or work related injuries. Injuries may involve the ligamentous or cartilage structures in the knee and if untreated may cause further degenerative damage over time. Knee pain can also be caused by a lack of neuromuscular control as a result of compromised kinetic chain segments. There are adolescent injuries such as Osgood-Schlatter disease which involves a painful bony outgrowth. Whether it is an acute injury or a problem that develops over time, it is important that the patient seek out medical help through their physician, certified athletic trainer, or NASM certified health and fitness professional.

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

Why Knee Injury Is So Common
Why Knee Injury Is So Common
Picture this: You're squatting down to pick up your kid, when suddenly you hear a pop from your knee followed by a sharp pain. You've done this squat ...
Can bad knees affect your back?
Yes. Knee pain can cause you to change your posture in an effort to avoid it. Since our back mus...
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
Soothe your achy knees with these expert-approved tips and treatments.
3 Bad Habits for Your Knees
3 Bad Habits for Your Knees