What causes patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS)?

Scott D. Martin, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Patellofemoral pain (runner's knee) often results from alterations in patellar tracking. Three major factors are involved, although their relative contributions can differ greatly from person to person:

Malalignment. People with a high Q-angle (angle formed by the femur and the line extending from the ankle through the kneecap) are at higher risk, as are people whose arches flatten with each step.

Muscle imbalance and tightness. Tight hamstrings, calves, and hip muscles increase the pressure between the kneecap and the thighbone. Of the four muscles that make up the quadriceps, three pull the kneecap toward the outside; if the innermost quadriceps muscle is relatively weak, this can create tracking problems.

Overuse. Bending the knee moves the patella tighter against the femur. Patellofemoral pain syndrome worsens with activities that put weight on the knee while it is bent, such as squatting or running on steps and hills.

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

Why Knee Injury Is So Common
Why Knee Injury Is So Common
Picture this: You're squatting down to pick up your kid, when suddenly you hear a pop from your knee followed by a sharp pain. You've done this squat ...
My knee hurts when I squat, what can I do to help prevent this?
It really depends on what may be causing your knee pain. It could be because you're a "knee squatter...
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
Soothe your achy knees with these expert-approved tips and treatments.
5 Ways to Relieve Knee Pain
5 Ways to Relieve Knee Pain