What can I do to help with post arthroscopy knee pain?

Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Emergency Room Nursing

Ice, compression and elevation are three things that you can do to address your post-arthroscopy knee pain. Some of the pain you are experiencing may be due to the work that was done during the procedure and some of the pain comes from the swelling that is present in the joint after the procedure. 

Don’t spend hours with your knee below your heart after arthroscopy. Spend time with your knee on the same plane, or above your hip. Follow the directions from your surgeon. You may be in a motion machine, or using a cooling device. Do not unwrap your knee until instructed by the physician. Follow their guidelines.  

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

What things should I consider when my knee hurts?
Knee pain can be caused by trauma as in the case of sports or work related injuries. Injuries may i...
What causes Hoffa's syndrome?
John W. Uribe, MDJohn W. Uribe, MD
In Hoffa's syndrome (sometimes called fat pad impingement), the infrapatella fat pad becomes swollen...
How can the shoes I wear affect my knees?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Researchers at Rush Medical College evaluated the impact of wearing different shoes when walking...
Is It Normal to Have Knee Pain After Running?