Is losing weight an alternative to knee surgery?

This recommendation would have to be made by determining whether the patient is overweight in the first place and whether the cause of the knee pain is directly related to weight. Some degenerative joint disease symptoms can be reduced through proper exercise and subsequent weight loss but this needs to be determined by the patient’s doctor. Alternatives to surgical interventions are preferable but sometimes even a proper weight and fitness level can’t completely turn back the hands of time.
If you are overweight, losing weight is a good step. Weight loss can help reduce pain and make it easier for you to do daily activities, including walking. If your osteoarthritis continues to cause you pain, and you’ve exhausted all other options, knee surgery may be necessary. It’s very important that you work closely with your doctor and other health care providers. Non-surgical treatment options should first be explored and a careful treatment plan specifically for you should be implemented. 

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

Can Exercise Help Alleviate Knee Pain?
Can Exercise Help Alleviate Knee Pain?
Can Running Cause Osteoarthritis of the Knee?
How Can I Help Prevent Knee Pain?
How Can I Help Prevent Knee Pain?
How Does Knee Pain Occur?
How Does Knee Pain Occur?