Why does my knee hurt when the weather changes?

Robert J. Otto, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Research is not conclusive, but scientists think you feel knee pain when the weather changes because of shifts in temperature or barometric pressure.  Colder temperatures cause muscles, tendons, and ligaments to tighten, which can lead to stiffness in the joint.  A rise in barometric pressure can have a similar effect, causing increased pressure within the joint.
A lot of people feel pain in their joints when the weather gets hotter or colder. In this video, I will explain why.

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

Are You Killing Your Knees?
Are You Killing Your Knees?
When was the last time you skinned your knee? It's probably been a while since you experienced this commonplace ailment of rough and tumble youthful t...
How can I treat pain in the front of my knee?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
With increased physical activity such as long-distance running or hiking, some people experience pai...
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
Soothe your achy knees with these expert-approved tips and treatments.
How Does Osteoarthritis Affect the Knees?