How can I treat pain in the front of my knee?

With increased physical activity such as long-distance running or hiking, some people experience pain in the front of their knees. Often, this involves natural deterioration or cracking on the undersurface of the kneecap.

For swollen knees, anti-inflammatory medications may help. Exercises should focus on strengthening the core and hip. Stronger hip muscles can decrease stress on the knee joint and improve alignment. Reduce or avoid activities that led to the pain until symptoms resolve. If running, walking or hiking seem to aggravate the condition, consider a different type of shoe or try orthotics or shoe inserts that can correct alignment and provide extra cushioning. If symptoms don’t improve within a few months, consult a doctor.

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

Why is it important to treat runner's knee?
Eric OlsenEric Olsen
When the problem is ignored, "runner's knee" can progress to the point where the articular cartilage...
What causes Hoffa's syndrome?
John W. Uribe, MDJohn W. Uribe, MD
In Hoffa's syndrome (sometimes called fat pad impingement), the infrapatella fat pad becomes swollen...
3 Bad Habits for Your Knees
3 Bad Habits for Your Knees
How Does Knee Pain Occur?
How Does Knee Pain Occur?