How can I treat pain in the front of my knee?

With increased physical activity such as long-distance running or hiking, some people experience pain in the front of their knees. Often, this involves natural deterioration or cracking on the undersurface of the kneecap.

For swollen knees, anti-inflammatory medications may help. Exercises should focus on strengthening the core and hip. Stronger hip muscles can decrease stress on the knee joint and improve alignment. Reduce or avoid activities that led to the pain until symptoms resolve. If running, walking or hiking seem to aggravate the condition, consider a different type of shoe or try orthotics or shoe inserts that can correct alignment and provide extra cushioning. If symptoms don’t improve within a few months, consult a doctor.

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

Why Knee Injury Is So Common
Why Knee Injury Is So Common
Picture this: You're squatting down to pick up your kid, when suddenly you hear a pop from your knee followed by a sharp pain. You've done this squat ...
How can the shoes I wear affect my knees?
Jonathan PenneyJonathan Penney
Shoes play a big part in supporting our bodies. Our bodies are connected from head to toe. When you ...
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
Soothe your achy knees with these expert-approved tips and treatments.
What Can I Do for Knee Pain?
What Can I Do for Knee Pain?