How can the foot and ankle cause knee pain?

Rick Olderman
Physical Therapy

The foot and ankle can affect knee pain. If the foot is overly flat or pronated, this contributes to internal rotation of the lower leg and knee. In my experience, 85 percent of the people with knee pain benefit more from strengthening hip muscles rather than using foot orthoses (shoe inserts) to affect the knee.

A history of ankle sprains can also affect knee pain. This happens as a result of protecting the ankle or if the ankle lacks range of motion. The knee then often makes up for this lack of motion, causing pain.

Fixing You: Hip & Knee Pain: Self-treatment for IT band friction, arthritis, groin pain, bursitis, knee pain, PFS, AKPS, and other diagnoses

Hip and knee pain are often a result of poor pelvic muscle performance in combination with poor walking habits. This combination creates tracking problems in the hip socket or excessive rotation at...

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

Why You Need Fiber
Why You Need Fiber
The legendary coach of the Green Bay Packers, Vince Lombardi, once said, “…you’ve got to play with your heart, with every fiber of your body.” Turns o...
Can bad knees affect your back?
Yes. Knee pain can cause you to change your posture in an effort to avoid it. Since our back mus...
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try10 Easy Knee-Pain Treatments That You Need to Try
Soothe your achy knees with these expert-approved tips and treatments.
If I Have Joint Pain, Does That Mean I Have Osteoarthritis?