How is patellofemoral pain syndrome treated?

Patellofemoral syndrome is most commonly a result of improper tracking of the patella in the femoral groove. Depending on whether this improper tracking has caused chondromalacia patella or patellofemoral stress syndrome, the treatment may vary with different health care practitioners. Assessment of what is causing the improper tracking is a first step towards proper treatment and corrective exercise. Treatments in the form of different modalities are sometimes transient when it comes to long term relief from this type of pain. Identification of kinetic chain segments to correct patellar tracking
should be part of any treatment plan.

Continue Learning about Knee Pain

what are the causes of knee pain ?
Some of the most common causes of knee pain are swollen or torn ligaments, meniscus (cartilage) tear...
what can cause a sudden pain in my knee ?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
A twinge in the knee upon rising from a chair, a sharp pain while descending stairs, a knee that “lo...
what is patellofemoral pain syndrome ( pfps ) ?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Patellofemoral syndrome is an irritation of the tissue around and under the patella (knee cap). ...
besides squats , are there other hip exercises to help my knee pain ?
A great hip exercise is wall slides. This works your gluteus medius, which helps control the knee. M...