Why do some children continue to wet the bed as they get older?

Children may continue to wet the bed as they get older for a number of reasons, including the following:

• Their brain and bladder might have problems communicating with each other.
  • Things that upset them, like bullying or problems at home or school, can trigger bedwetting.
  • Their kidneys might not slow down at night like they should, so they end up making too much urine.
  • Some people have an overactive bladder that tries to empty when it’s not supposed to.
  • They may be constipated, or have an infection in their urine. 
  • Some medical conditions can cause bedwetting, but that’s rare.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

8 Study Snacks That Make Kids Smarter
8 Study Snacks That Make Kids Smarter
Ask any kid, whether second-grader or swaggering senior, and you'll hear the same claim: Studying makes you hungry! Memorizing math formulas? Chips an...
What should I do if my child swallows poison?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
If your child swallows poison the most important thing is to take the item away and not to make your...
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
A sick child can be a scary thing for parents. A call to the pediatrician can calm your fears, but these 6 signs and symptoms could mean a trip to the...
The Correct Way to Give a Child Medication