When should I call the doctor about my child's nosebleed?

You should call the doctor about your child's nosebleed if it won't stop bleeding after 30 minutes or the bleeding is profuse.

“A child who suffers nosebleeds so frequently that it affects his or her activities or school attendance should be evaluated by a doctor,” ShahramYazdani, MD, pediatrician at Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA says. “Children who suffer frequent nosebleeds that are accompanied by other symptoms such as gum bleeds or easy bruising should also see their doctor.”

Although excessive blood loss from a nosebleed is rare, symptoms would be lightheadedness, confusion, dizziness and fainting. If any of these begin to occur with a nosebleed, your child may have lost a substantial amount of blood, which could be dangerous.

Also seek medical attention if:

  • your child has several episodes of nose bleeds within a short period of time
  • your child is taking blood-thinning drugs; these may affect the blood’s ability to clot
  • your child begins to experience bleeding from places other than his nose
  • your child throws up blood 
  • the bleeding doesn’t stop after 10 minutes

This answer provided for NATA by the Georgia College & State University Athletic Training Education Program.

Call your child’s doctor if your child has:

  • Bleeding that will not stop
  • Lost a large amount of blood
  • Frequent nosebleeds
  • Bruises not caused by injury
  • Bleeding from the gums or rectum

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Can Children Use Fluoride Toothpaste?
Can Children Use Fluoride Toothpaste?
According to a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), it’s especially important for kids age three to six who use fluor...
Read More
How should a hospital ensure the security of pediatric patients?
One baby abducted from the nursery is one too many. (A custody battle increases the need to make sur...
More Answers
6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting
6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting6 Ways to Stop Bedwetting
These six strategies can help your child get a handle on bedwetting.
Start Slideshow
How Do You Engage Schools?
How Do You Engage Schools?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.