When does Babinski reflex normally go away?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

At birth the Babinski reflex is positive, due to the immaturity of the nervous system. As the nervous system matures, the Babinski reflex becomes negative. The Babinski reflex usually disappears around one year of age. If the Babinski reflex persists beyond the second birthday, it may be a sign of a nervous system disorder.

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

As the nervous system develops normally it exhibits certain reflexes.  Babinski reflex is one of a number of neonatal reflexes (such as Moro reflex, Landau's reflex, blink reflex, etc.). As the nervous system becomes more complex, a number of those reflexes go away and others are retained. Babinski reflex is one that goes away and is replaced by the plantar reflex.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Kids, Food Allergies and Bullying
Kids, Food Allergies and Bullying
What's Changed About Treating the Health of Children?
How to Handle a Picky Eater
How to Handle a Picky Eater
How Can I Tell If My Child has Enterovirus D68, Versus a Cold or the Flu?