What are pain management and distraction techniques for kids aged 6 to 12?

Pain management and distraction techniques for kids aged 6 to 12 include the following:
  • conversation (humor)
  • music
  • encouraging statements
  • deep breathing and visualization
  • favorite toy
  • watching videos
  • iPad
  • comfort positions
This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Are Teens Driven to Distraction Behind the Wheel?
Hey, Mom and Dad, the axiom, “Do as I say, not as I do,” turns out to be a pretty inadequate way to teach teen drivers how to be safe behind the wheel...
How can I distract my child at the hospital while we're waiting?
Assuming the illness or injury isn’t life threatening, try to bring something to keep your child div...
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER6 Signs Your Child Should Go to the ER
A sick child can be a scary thing for parents. A call to the pediatrician can calm your fears, but these 6 signs and symptoms could mean a trip to the...
How to Spot Dyslexia in Young Kids
How to Spot Dyslexia in Young Kids