What are pain management and distraction techniques for kids aged 6 to 12?

Pain management and distraction techniques for kids aged 6 to 12 include the following:
  • conversation (humor)
  • music
  • encouraging statements
  • deep breathing and visualization
  • favorite toy
  • watching videos
  • iPad
  • comfort positions
This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Keep Tabs on Your Child’s Health With These Tips From Our Experts
Q: Should I take vitamin D while I’m pregnant? And should I give a supplement to my two-year old? I hear conflicting reports on how necessary it is. —...
Why is my child so thin?
Kevin Auwarter, NASM Elite TrainerKevin Auwarter, NASM Elite Trainer
I understand your concern with this, because my own mother had a similar concern for me when I was...
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Skip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe HalloweenSkip the Masks, Sort the Candy and 7 Other Tricks for a Safe Halloween
Use these tips to avoid spooky holiday hazards on the trick-or-treat trail.
How Can I Avoid Exposure to BPA?
How Can I Avoid Exposure to BPA?