What is jaundice in newborns (hyperbilirubinemia)?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing

Hyperbilirubinemia is an elevated level of bilirubin in the blood resulting in a yellowing of the skin and other tissues of a newborn. Bilirubin is a yellow substance that the body creates when it replaces old red blood cells. The liver helps break down the substance so it can be removed from the body in the infant's stool.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Secrets for Perfect Attendance
Secrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect AttendanceSecrets for Perfect Attendance
Experts share their tips for keeping kids healthy all school year. School's started, and in addition to homework, your child may also be bringing hom...
How Do You Deal with Parents Who Have Read Everything on the Internet?
Is My Baby’s Immune System Less Developed Than an Adult’s?
How Is Constipation Treated in Children?