What is a premature baby?

Dr. Deborah Raines, MSN
Nursing Specialist

A premature baby, or preemie, is born before the 37th completed week of pregnancy. Premature birth is a serious health problem. Because they are born too early, preemies weigh less than full-term babies. Premature babies are at increased risk for health complications, such as breathing problems and feeding problems, because their organs did not have enough time to develop. Preemies need special care in a neonatal intensive care unit, or NICU.

Infants born before thirty-seven completed weeks of gestation are premature. Low-birth-weight babies are less than 5 pounds, 8 ounces (8 percent of births) and very-low-birth-weight babies are less than 3 pounds, 4 ounces (fewer than 2 percent of births). The preterm birth rate is about 13 percent in the United States, having risen for the last two decades, mostly because of multiple births due to assisted reproduction.

Continue Learning about Children's Health

Why "Do As I Say, Not As I Do" Doesn't Work
That much-favored, hypocritical saying bandied about by lazy authoritarians, “Do as I say, not as I do,” never seems very convincing to any kid. And n...
Can peer pressure be good for my child?
What parent wouldn’t want children who paddled against the stream, stood up for themselves, and didn...
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
Lice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School ProblemsLice, Pinkeye and 7 More Back-to-School Problems
These common bugs and body issues should be on every parent's radar.
Is the Flu Shot Safe for Children?
Is the Flu Shot Safe for Children?